The FMS Program offers both M.S. and Ph.D. degrees, and many of our students complete an M.S. before embarking on their Ph.D. As part of the admissions process, we strongly encourage prospective students to contact prospective faculty advisors to ensure that your interests are compatible with work currently being undertaken by the faculty, and that the faculty member has opportunities in their group for new students.
On average, the FMS Program receives over 50 applications each year, and less than 5 applicants matriculate. Successful applicants typically have an excellent undergraduate GPA, competitive GRE scores, outstanding letters of recommendation, and undergraduate or graduate research experience. More information and an overview of the FMS Program is available on the Graduate School website.
The target date for fall admission is January 1. Applications are reviewed in January and selected applicants are invited to campus for an interview weekend in February. Final admission decisions are made by the end of March, and in accordance with the Council of Graduate Schools Resolution, applicants have until April 15 to respond to an offer of admission.
1. Graduate School Requirements. Before applying, please consult the UW-Madison Graduate School website to verify that you have met the minimum requirements for admission.
2. Online Application. Applications must be submitted electronically. To access the UW-Madison Graduate School online application: Click Here
3. Reasons for Graduate Study. A personal statement (one to two pages) that includes areas of research interest and names of prospective faculty advisors must be uploaded in the online application.
4. Transcripts. Transcripts must be uploaded in the online application from each institution that you have attended (undergraduate and graduate), even if no degree was received. Unofficial transcripts are accepted for the application process, but upon acceptance to the FMS Program, official transcripts will be required. Please note that international academic records must be in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Do not send hard copies of your transcripts to the UW-Madison Graduate Admissions Office — we will not receive them by January 1 and your application will be incomplete.
5. Three Letters of Recommendation. Letters should be from persons familiar with your academic and research abilities. Instructions for letters of recommendation are on the UW-Madison Graduate School website. Please track your application status through MyUW to see if letters of recommendation have been submitted on your behalf. You may send reminders to your recommenders to ensure the letters are submitted by January 1.
6. Official GRE Scores. The GRE General Test is required, but the Subject Tests are not. The FMS Program does not have a minimum score requirement for the GRE. On the GRE registration form, use code number 1846 for “Institution”. GRE scores must be received by January 1.
7. Official TOEFL Scores. The TOEFL is required for applicants who have not completed at least two full-time semesters of graded course work, exclusive of ESL courses, in a U.S. college or university, or at an institution outside the U.S. where English is the exclusive language of instruction. The Graduate School’s minimum TOEFL requirement is 92 for the internet-based test or 580 for the paper-based test. On the TOEFL registration form, use code number 1846 for “Institution”. TOEFL scores must be received by January 1.
8. Resume or CV. A resume or CV is required and must be uploaded in the online application.
9. Application Fee. UW-Madison charges a non-refundable $75 application fee that must be paid by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or debit/ATM card in the online application system. In addition to the $75 application fee, non-U.S. citizens will be charged a $6 international document processing fee. Both fees will be processed during the submission of your application.
For questions or if you have trouble uploading any of the required documents, contact:
Instructional Program Manager
152 Birge Hall
430 Lincoln Dr.
Madison, WI 53706